Friday, April 1, 2011

Gelato, Gelato, and more Gelato!

I am a little embarrassed to admit that the main reason I wanted to go to Italy was so I could eat gelato! Sure, Italy has amazing architecture and a rich culture history but what I really cared about was the gelato. I have only ever eaten the sad excuse for "gelato" sold in the US. I was very anxious to eat the real deal. Gelato and ice cream differ because gelato has a lower butterfat content and a higher sugar content. The higher sugar content is balanced with the water content to prevent the gelato from freezing solid. Anyone who has ever tried to scoop ice cream straight from the freezer knows ice cream can freeze very hard. Gelato also has less air incorporated into it which creates a more intense flavor.
I ate a lot of gelato in the four days I was in Milan. I was not expecting the gelato to be as different as it was from ice cream. I have to say I prefer gelato to ice cream which is going to be a problem once I am back in the US!
Nutella Gelato




Really excited about my chocolate gelato
Biscotti and Cream (Italian version of Cookies and Cream)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment