Monday, April 4, 2011

How many honors students does it take to make a souffle?

I recently got the urge to make a souffle. This was partly due to the fact I had purchased a French cookbook with recipes for a spinach, Parmesan souffle and I had never made a souffle before so I thought France would be the perfect place for my first attempt. I employed my friend Taylor as translator of the French recipe and as my sous chef. The preparation time given in the recipe was 20 minutes but it took us 2 hours. We ran into many problems starting with figuring out how to turn on and set the temperature of the oven. The next big problem was trying to cook using the metric system. I can guess how much milk is in a half a cup but trying to guess how much 35 cl of milk is was more than a little tricky. I also had to beat the egg whites by hand because the kitchen I was using did not have a KitchenAid or hand mixer. After all the problems we ran into while preparing the souffle, I was convinced it would not rise but to my surprise it worked. The souffle was very tasty. I want to try and make a chocolate souffle next but I might wait until I am back in the US in my own kitchen.

They are rising




Notice all the buttons on this oven!!



   

No comments:

Post a Comment