Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Paris Picnic

I recently met my friend, Elanor, in Paris to spend the weekend in the City of Lights. She is studying in Sevilla, Spain and I visited her during March to experience Spanish culture. I wanted to share French culture with her and there is no better place than Paris. In my opinion the easiest way to discover the French lifestyle is to visit an outdoor market. We were lucky enough to be in Paris on a Sunday which is when most markets are open. After attending Mass at Notre Dame, we found a market and bought some things to eat for lunch. As soon as you walk into the market, the smell of roasting chickens is wafting through the air. I had never bought a chicken before but figured the roasted chicken is quintessentially French and Elanor should experience it. We also bought some bread, fresh goat cheese, and a bottle of "cider" (to me it tastes like appley beer and is so delicious). We found ourselves a bench and started feasting. We got some strange looks for people passing by because we did not have any utensils and were tearing into the chicken with our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment