Sunday, February 27, 2011

Guess the Flavor

     In the United States, red colored foods, especially desserts, usually signal to the eater that the flavor is going to be either strawberry, cherry, or red raspberry. On my many visits to pastry shops in Lyon, I always saw breads and tarts with red filling. I assumed they were some type of red fruit flavor but the sign always said "praline." The word praline has a couple different meanings but basically it is a nut coated in sugar. I had only ever associated the color brown with praline but in Lyon, the almonds are covered in red sugar. This red sugar is what gives the color to the praline breads and tarts.
    The recipe for the tart is very easy. You just pre-bake a tart shell and then fill it with a mixture of the crushed red pralines and cream. Put the tart in the refrigerator for the filling to set up and then serve.    
     Naturally I had to try one of the praline tarts because I could not image how it would taste. The tart is basically just sugar and almonds in a crust so it was really sugary and kind of "one-dimensional" in regards to flavor. But I was glad I finally tried one. I still am unsure why the sugar is dyed red so if anyone does any research and finds out, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment