Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I miss my kitchen!!

So I have spent about a week in my tiny apartment and the thing I miss the most is my family's kitchen. I am having serious cooking withdraws. The hotplate in the apartment simply can't deliver the same results as the five burner, gas, stainless steel stove I left behind. So to ease my cooking pains I decided to order one of the few French dishes I made in America, a croque monsieur (which translates to a "crispy mister", pretty funny).
A croque monsieur is a sandwich found all over France. It is basically a ham sandwich with a bechamel sauce and gruyere cheese on top and then put under a broiler. I have to say my croque monsieur is better. The cafe where I ordered this sandwich did not put any dijon mustard on the sandwich, which is a crucial ingredient.   

2 comments:

  1. I am expecting great things! Cheese, mushrooms, fabulous bread, etc. Have a ball!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we see some pictures of the French pastries from the weekend?

    ReplyDelete