Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hold the croutons, I want anchovies on my salad!

France has not really embraced the whole "salad as a meal" idea like the United States has. It is almost impossible to find a salad as the main course. (French lesson: Entree means the appetizer, Plat means the main course) So I was very surprised when I found a restaurant that only served salads, over twenty different kinds of salads to be exact. But these were no ordinary iceberg lettuce, carrot, tomato, and cucumber salad, these were "French" salads. I ordered the Salad Nicoise. This type of salad originated from Nice which is on the Mediterranean coast of France. The salad consists of tuna, green beans, bell peppers, potatoes, olives, soft boiled egg, and ANCHOVIES. I was a little hesitant about the anchovies. I like anchovies when they are "dissolved" in Caesar dressing or cooked down in tomato sauce but I had never eaten a whole anchovy fillet complete with hairy looking bones sticking out in all directions. After eating one fillet, I decided I do not like anchovies. Its not that it was especially fishy or salty, just tasted weird. So I set aside the anchovies and ate the rest of the salad, which was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment