Sunday, May 15, 2011

Do not be fooled by the imitators

I was lucky enough to return to Italy one more time. I visited Milan in March and fell in love with the gelato so a trip to Rome meant I could be reunited with my lover. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but gelato captures the essence of the ingredients used in a way that American ice cream does not. Coffee gelato tastes like you are actually eating a coffee bean, very intense and a little bitter but still very tasty. I thought I had tasted the best gelato until I visited a restaurant in Piazza Navona in Rome. The restaurant was called Tre Scalini and outside there were signs for "Tartufo". I had no idea was a "Tartufo" was but figured it must be a big deal if it cost 10 euros and was claiming to be the original. After ordering a "Tartufo" and taking one bite, I fell even more in love with gelato. A tartufo is a gelato dessert that is supposed to resemble the savory black truffles. It is chocolate gelato sculpted by hand into a ball. Then the center of the ice cream is scooped out and chocolate chunks and a cherry soaked in some type of liquor is placed in the hole. The ball is then rolled in shaved chocolate and topped with whipped cream. The tartufo was so good, I had to go back the next day and get another one.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment