Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tartine, not a dessert

When I look at a French menu and I often have no idea what most of the dishes are. I try and pick out words that I know, like "tart". Generally I associated the word tart with a dessert but often I would see the word "tartine" on the savory menu which was slightly confusing. On my recent trip to Beaune, France, I decided to order a tartine and was I surprised. I learned a tartine is a traditional French open-faced sandwich.
The waiter brought be a large piece of toasted bread layered with potatoes, bacon, and Gruyere and Emmental cheeses that was put into the oven until the cheese was gooey and melted. It was so good, one of the most flavorful dishes I have had in France. It also was a good meal to eat before my wine tasting, helped to absorb the fifteen different wines I drank!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment